Stüssi Family Crest (Wappenbuch Glarus)
Stüssi I and III are the Zurich Stüssi, Stüssi II are the Stüssi from Niederurnen, Stüssi IV are the Stüssi from Glarus and Riedern and Stüssi V are the Stüssi from Linthal and Haslen
Occurrence in Glarus
Niederurnen / Glarus / Riedern / Linthal / Haslen
About the Stüssi Family
The Stüssi are an old-established family of rural people who lived in various communities from an early age, where they played a role mainly in local politics. In 1333 a Landolf Stüssi is mentioned for the first time as a witness in the foundation letter of the Linthal Sisters' House. In 1372, the later Zurich citizen Rudolf von Zusingen-Haslen, who has survived as the father of the famous Zurich mayor of the same name, guarantees payment of the taxes owed to Säckingen. Amalia Stüssi is listed in the donation book of the chapel Näfels from 1413. In 1528 Peter Stüssi represented Glarus in the Protestant Church at the Tagsatzung. Heinrich Stüssi von Linthal had to resign in 1531 as a proponent of the reformer Ulrich Zwingli as governor in the Gaster. 1532 in Linthal a Fridolin Stüssi is handed down, who apparently had the five sons Bartholomäus, Fridolin, Heinrich, Jakob and Peter. Bartli (Bartholomäus) Stüssi later lived in Haslen near Schwanden, while Jakob, who held higher offices, moved to Ennenda. Heinrich owned Baumgartenalp and in 1528 received a state contribution to the construction of the Pantenbrücke bridge near Linthal. 1544 a Niklaus in Rüti is handed down, 1555 lived a Jakob Stüssi on the Weissenbergen (with Matt) and one year later a namesake lived in Schwändi. It seems that the Stüssi were originally based in Linthal, Haslen and perhaps Niederurnen. The Stüssi from Linthal then established lines in Ennenda and Rüti, Stüssi from Haslen moved to Schwanden and presumably to Glarus, and the Stüssi from Niederurnen settled in Riedern and Bilten. In Rüti, Schwanden and Ennenda these branches are extinct, while in the other communities the family is still strongly represented today.
The Stüssi of Linthal, Ennenda and Rüti
As already mentioned, the Linthaler Stüssi were already quite numerous in the 16th century, so that no common ancestor can be determined. They provided numerous councillors, bailiffs and churchmen. Of the nine councillors who represented Linthal in Glarus from 1700 to 1775, three belonged to the Stüssi family. Councillor Thomas Stüssi (born 1654) also served as bailiff in the Rhine Valley from 1694, and teacher and community writer Bernhard Stüssi (1868-1937) was a member of the government council from 1927 to 1937. Especially in recent times, the family has also provided community presidents. In addition, the Linthaler Stüssi mainly work as craftsmen (shoemakers), farmers and factory workers in the textile factories. Some were factory directors. In 1929, 46 Stüssi representatives in Linthal obtained the right of the day.
The founder of the Ennenda line from Linthal was Jakob Stüssi, who died in 1588 and was already mentioned above. Stüssi first served as a landowner and scribe and then in 1556 became bailiff in Werdenberg. Descendants were mainly active as butchers. The line died out in the 18th century. The Rüti line founded by councilman Thomas Stüssi (1703-1783) also disappeared around 1800. Of these, the choir judge Melchior (1718-1783), who served as Pannervorträger, Captain of Will and Landvogt von Werdenberg, is particularly well known. In the electoral district of Rüti, to which Linthal-Ennetlinth belonged at that time, the Stüssi immediately played a major role, as they were able to appoint four of the 12 councillors between 1700 and 1775. In Betschwanden two Stüssi had already owned land in 1612.
The Stüssi of Haslen, Schwanden and Glarus
It seems that Stüssi has always been a resident of Haslen. After a family had moved from Zusingen to Zurich, we never heard of the Hasler line again in the 15th century, and Bartli, who was mentioned in 1566 as a resident of Haslen, probably came from Linthal. Only in the church books of Schwanden we come again from Stüssi in Zusingen. A Balthsar Stüssi of Haslen and living in Zusingen married in 1611 and died in 1652. Abraham Stüssi of Zusingen died in 1628. On the other hand, Peter Stüssi, who died in 1635 and bought the daily right in Haslen in 1610, and Bartholomäus Stüssi, who died in 1669, seem to have moved in from Linthal. The progenitor of today's Hasler line can therefore hardly be determined. They did not stand out strongly in state politics. On the other hand, they held various local offices and also provided some Tagwenvögte. They worked as craftsmen (carpenters, joiners etc.) as well as farmers and counted some academics in recent times.
The now extinct old Schwanden line was founded by Mathias (1593-1662) of Zusingen. He bought the Tagwenrecht in 1624 and in 1654 became a Protestant Seckelmeister (Financial Director). Even before him, a yodel Stüssi von Schwanden, who died in 1621, is recorded in the church register. The Stüssi from Schwanden were never very numerous and apparently also did not try particularly for offices.
On the other hand the Stüssi from Glarus developed to a somewhat stronger line. Ensign and scribe Balthasar Stüssi, who died in 1638, is regarded as her progenitor. Its origin from Haslen, however, is nowhere explicitly documented. But the name points in this direction. His descendants held few offices. They confirmed themselves above all as building craftsmen (carpenters or master bricklayers) and farmers. They also provided some academics, among them Dr. Friedrich Stüssi (1901-1981), who made a name for himself as professor for structural engineering, bridges and building construction at the ETH in Zurich and who was awarded an honorary doctorate by the universities of Cambridge, Karlsruhe and Rio de Janeiro.
The Stüssi from Niederurnen, Riedern and Bilten
Late in the files the Stüssi from Niederurnen appear, although it possibly concerns an old-established family. From 1581 to 1603 Jakob von Linthal was the caretaker (administrator) of the brick bridge. But no male descendants have survived in Niederurnen. The first Stüssi to be called from Niederurnen is Gabriel Stüssi, who died in 1650. He also worked as a caretaker and later moved to Riedern, where he founded the line there. In the church books in Niederurnen three presumably sons of Gabriel who remained in the Hirzlidorf are registered, and the brother Joachim who lived at the same time had the son Jakob Stüssi who lived 1639 to 1700 and who in turn counted four male descendants with families. At the end of the 17th century the family was probably already quite numerous. All these Stüssi initially only held smaller municipal offices, and the family only played a certain role in village politics in the 19th century. They worked as craftsmen (shoemakers, carpenters), farmers and factory workers in the textile factories and are still well represented today. In 1929, they counted 45 beneficial daily rights.
The line from Riedern was, as already mentioned, founded by the Niederurner bricklayer Gabriel. The Stüssi soon became a numerous family here, which provided the community with several Tagwenvögte and community presidents. They worked as bricklayers, farmers, textile printers and field workers and also provided some teachers. In 1928, they counted 31 usufruct daytime rights. Dr. Rudolf Stüssi (1883-1982), who represented Glarus in the Council of States of Switzerland from 1946 to 1962, also belongs to the Stüssi family from Riedern.
In Bilten the family was occupied 1783 by treasurer Fridolin Stüssi (1741-1800) from Niederurnen. His descendants worked mainly as farmers and craftsmen and also held several municipal offices.
Historisch-Biographisches Lexikon der Schweiz, Band 6, p 589-590
Tschudi-Schümperlin Ida / Winteler Jakob, Wappenbuch des Landes Glarus, p 80-81
Fritz Stucki, 50 alte Glarner Familien, 1989, p 83-85