529 meters above sea level
726 inhabitants (as per 1.1.2007
Riedern is a village at the entrance to the Klöntal, northwest of Glarus and is probably an Alemannic settlement. Until 1395 Riedern was assessable to the Abbey Säckingen. In Middle Ages the villagers operated sheep breeding, later they operated cattle breeding. Probably from 1387 Riedern was allocated to the town of Glarus and belonged also to the church of Glarus. However, Riedern formed its own cooperative. Between 1543 and 1630 Riedern detached itself from Glarus and turned into an independent community. As a Wahltagwen Riedern remained connected with Glarus. In 1630 Netstal renounced rights over the hamlets of Bruch, Au and Durschen to Riedern. As from the time of the reformation Riedern had parity but the protestants formed the majority.
In 1595, first craftsmen (Kübelmacher / cellarmen) are mentioned. Numerous limestone troughs set up in the Glarnerland in the 18th century were hewn in Riedern. In 1855, Matheus Staub built on the creek Löntsch a bleaching plant, to which he added a weaving mill in 1866. Another weaving mill was operated between 1868-1910 in the Auli. In 1862, the parish of Glarus-Riedern was founded. In 1872 the school house was built and was taken over in 1876 by the school community Glarus-Riedern. At the beginning of the 21st century, there were small businesses active in the areas of metal construction, welding technology and organ pipe making.